Stars, sleep and suitcases of unknown contents….

Well I might as well start this off with a complaint. The chick in front of me has her seat all the way back and I am trying to write on a laptop that is half fucking closed. So much for keeping this one as clean as possible.

After the last two weeks it is hard to believe that we are actually on the plane and on our way to NZ-OZ. Things have been crazy hectic with a house full of guests, construction on the front porch, the Mets trip and additional stuff for work. It was poor planning on our part to think that we could have gotten it all done and to think that we’d actually be packed and ready to go on time – which we were, surprisingly. Luckily we had a lot of help from family and friends – to get us here today and off to JFK with food in our bellies.

Jess was telling me how hard a time she was having trying to pack – since it was snowing on NZ’s south island last week – then traveling up to Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef which should be around 80. She asked what I had in my suitcase and I told her that I really didn’t know. I’m actually not sure I have everything I need or should have. At this point it’s too late and I guess we’ll have to pick it up when we get there.

As we were waiting in the security line this somewhat tall blonde gets in the 1st class line next to us and I say to Jess, “Yo, that chick looks like Cameron Diaz”. She looks over and says, “That’s because it is.” It’s been a star studded week for me after staying in the same hotel with the Mets and riding in the elevator with Jose Reyes and seeing the whole team in our lobby. So as she’s taking off her shoes I turn to Jess and say, “Sorry, I had to be a jerk and look at her ass when she bent over.” To which I got the sad face but then she said, “I would have too.”

We made it the rest of the way relatively unscathed and onto the plane. We have to get off and then back on in LA – which is just stupid since we’re moving like six rows back. I didn’t realize just how far NZ-OZ are in numbers. NY-LA is 3000 mi – give or take a few, LA-Auckland is 10,400 mi. It really is the other side of the world when you look at the map – I was going to tell Jess that but she had already fallen asleep – like before the plane even left the tarmac. Yes, my biggest fear – she will sleep, I will not and then it’s gonna be a rough next oh, I’d say at least 72 hours if not more. I wish I could get online and see what time it is over there so I can set my watch and start thinking in that context. I think we arrive at 8:15 am their time – which means if I’m up the entire flight, I’m screwed. It’s 10 pm NY time and it’s time to stretch and take care of some business – and hopefully get some sleep.

Well it's 11:21 on 8.11.10 - we made it to the hostel in Auckland. We had a decent flight and I actually slept so that was good. We're going to grab some food and start exploring. The lady at the hostel was really nice and it seems to be a cool older house. Hopefully I will be able to post some pics later and a video of the lightning we saw on the plane. 



Slag Sneaks On
For those who know, Flat Slag is with us. He was with us in Iceland but we forgot to take pics of him - forgot him for Spain as well - but he's here now and the fun will begin.
3 Responses
  1. Nancy Says:

    Melanie is in Australia right now - she just got there a few days ago. She goes every summer for a few weeks but this summer she brought David for Maddy's wedding. You may remember Maddy... she nearly burned my apartment down. Have an awesome time - looking forward to the blog!

  2. Stumbling on my way to Heaven Says:

    Dying for the first pics to come! Flat Slag and all. LOL! Neil...I love your insights so much that I didn't even mind the F bomb in the first sentence! If you both don't snorkel at the reef I will come to NY and staple your eyelids open!

  3. Unknown Says:

    Im glad it wasnt too bad on the flght but i have to say when you have a terrible time your blog is much more funny! -alstank

Post a Comment

abcs